Despite advances in technology and the millions invested, quantum computing is still just a fledgling. The term ‘Quantum’ actually refers to the processor, the physical component that enables quantum computing, but is still more a theoretical concept. Governments are the major driving force behind investments in this project, fiercely competing for what is perceived as the most promising technology of the 21st century.
So, what is all the hype about and the rationale for the quantum computing market? There are two major considerations:
- Quantum cryptography is the key to secure communications (hacking obsolete)
- Quantum computing opens new realms in developing new weapons and breaking into adversary communications
- Quantum computing is a geopolitical game changer
- Quantum computing opens new horizons in almost every aspect of human life, whether it’s new medicine or renewable energy
- Quantum computing is an economy game changer, with a potential of disrupting entire industries and creating new ones
Between 2015 & 2020 investments into Quantum Computing is estimated to be $26 Billion.
It’s rumored that Googles D-Wave quantum computer just got the biggest processor upgrade in history. The company has kept a tight wrap on just what it hopes to accomplish with quantum computing technology, and whether it has started to accomplish any of it. But, now we do know the computer itself is getting significantly more powerful, and that further upgrades are expected over the next seven years.
There is a growing numbers of critics that allege the company is not employing the true quantum phenomena. D-Wave has never said that their computer can outperform a normal processor, which would satisfy some expectations. But on the other hand, when the likes of Google and Lockheed Martin are willing to invest millions into the technology, you have to take it at least somewhat seriously.
Read Article (Staff | marketresearchmedia.com | 04/02/2015)
Let’s be real, investment of this kind of money means the quantum computer is already here and running. The rest of us must wait for them to scale it down too get one.
Master Level High-Tech Webinars